Medical Malpractice is a Professional Liability insurance especially designed for those who are involved in the medical profession such as doctors, nurses, surgeons, technicians, etc. Medical Malpractice insurance is a mandatory cover for all medical professionals practicing in the UAE.
Medical Malpractice insurance can be obtained either individually by:
- Doctors such as Physicians, Surgeons and all Specialists or;
- Para-medical staff such as Nurses, Pharmacists, Lab/X-ray Technicians, Physiotherapists etc.
Or by a medical institution such as hospitals, clinics, laboratories, diagnostic centers etc.
Medical profession is a specialized profession and the probability of errors and omissions is low primarily due to:
- Medical practitioners undergoing rigorous training and stringent examinations to achieve high qualifications
- Their exercising utmost care and devotion in treating their fellow human beings and upholding the true spirit of the Hippocratic Oath
- Their performance being closely monitored and evaluated by regulatory authorities, professional associations and moreover by their patients.
In spite of the above, a legal liability can hang on the heads of a medical professional or institution for the following reasons:
- A misdiagnosis
- Administration of a wrong treatment/prescribing wrong medicines
- Negligence, Errors & Omissions in treatment/surgery
- Breach of Duty of Care
- Causing mental agony to the patients
A Medical Malpractice Liability Insurance will indemnify any legal obligations arising out of death or bodily or mental injury of patients due to negligence, error and omission in rendering professional services. Expenses such as Court Charges, Lawyers Fee etc. for defending suites against any legal obligations are covered under the policy.
We at New Age Insurance Brokers can work with you or your institution to design a Medical Malpractice Policy that best suits your needs.